Customer Service

WPC Customer Service representatives assist the public with sewer-related concerns, and they interpret and explain services. Customer Service representatives also distribute permits and are liaisons between the public and WPC specialized units, such as Engineering inspectors and sewer maintenance crews.

If water backs up into your basement:

You should notify the Division of Water Pollution Control (WPC) to investigate the problem. If the main sewer is flowing properly you will need to hire a licensed and bonded plumber to clear the connection. It is your responsibility to make repairs if the problem in the connection is found to be between the property and the curb. If the problem is between the curb and the main sewer, you need to get the plumber’s receipt noting the exact location of the problem, and contact WPC.

If you are planning to dig:

Prior to performing sewer repairs, licensed and bonded sewer builders must secure a permit from WPC. The permit allows contractors to dig in the tree lawn to make repairs. For sewer measurements and more information about the permit, please contact WPC.

Test Tee Program:

If you experience a blockage in the sewer connection, you should hire a licensed and bonded plumber to alleviate the problem. If the problem is found between the curb and the main sewer, then you may submit proof to WPC and ask about your eligibility for the Test Tee Program. For more information about the program, please contact WPC.

Also contact the WPC Customer Service Unit if you:

  • Observe a blocked catch basin or street flooding.
  • Observe a damaged catch basin.
  • Observe missing catch basin covers, manhole covers or broken grates.
  • Observe a caved-in street.
  • Observe a hole in a tree lawn.
  • Observe anyone pouring or putting anything into catch basins or sewers.

WPC’s Customer Service Unit can be reached 24 hours a day. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

For comments regarding WPC’s level of service, you may call (216) 664-2513 or
e-mail Customer Service.